With the 2012 Olympics well under way and physical activity in high gear, you will need something tasty to give you some energy to continue on! These colourful little fruit and seed bars have been put through their time-trials and we’re sure they’re in the running for a podium finish.
You will need:
- 55 g Butter
- 3TBSP Golden syrup/corn syrup
- 100g Quick-cook oats
- 80g Soft Brown Sugar
- 40g Cheerios
- 50g Raisins
- 40g Pumpkin seeds
- 50g Dried cranberries
- 40g Sunflower seeds
1) Preheat oven to 170C/325F
2) Line a 20x20cm/8x8inch tin with well-greased baking parchment
3) Put the butter and golden syrup in a small pan over a low heat until the butter has melted, and set aside to cool
4) Put the rest of the ingredients in a larger bowl and stir together. This is a great introduction to weights and measures as a math skill!
5) Add the cooled butter mixture and mix well. Watch out for the guilty face of someone sneaking out the ingredients!
6) Put the mix into the lined tin and press it down. It looks good…but it’s not ready to eat yet!
7) Bake for about 30 minutes or until the centre is just firm to the touch
8) Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes
9) Slice into bars
10) Allow to cool completely before removing them from the pan. Yes, you have to wait just a little longer!
Yes, now you may have a taste! With autumn all too close, you could turn this into a discussion about where some of the ingredients come from and harvest them yourself. The pumpkin and sunflower seeds would be great to keep in mind for the garden next year.