Grandma’s Jam Jam cookies were always a hit with everyone! It was always a good day when I would stop in at my grandparent’s home on the way home from school to smell that Grandma had been baking. And she would often make these Jam Jam cookies for guests, or to take to her Senior’s groups, and sometimes…just for US!
For my birthday last year Mom compiled a binder for me with some of the family’s favourite recipes, and this was one of them. It’s been over a decade since I’ve last had one of Grandma’s delicious Jam Jams, so I decided it was time to make them myself-with a little help from the children, of course!
Ingredients for Grandma’s Jam Jam Cookies:
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 6 TBSP Corn syrup
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ¼ tsp Salt
- All purpose flour (no, I haven’t forgotten to write the amount down-this is one of those ‘old’ recipes from back in the day where not much was measured, you just ‘knew’ how much to add, and the directions were one sentence long-a far cry from most home-bakers today!)
Method for making Jam Jam Cookies:
1) Preheat your oven to 350F/180C.
2) Cream butter and sugar together.
3) Add eggs and mix well.
4) Add remaining ingredients (except the jam).
6) Add enough flour to roll out the cookies. At this point I ran out of white flour, so I substituted some brown flour. Though the cookies have finished a little darker, they still taste just as delicious. It’s all about using what you have and being creative in the kitchen, isn’t it?!
7) Roll cookie dough out and cut with a cookie cutter. (My hands were a bit messy at this point so no photos were taken, but I’m sure you know what rolled cookie dough looks like.)
8) Place cookies onto an ungreased cookie sheet. We used different sizes of cookie cutters, and put the same sized cookies on the same cookie sheet so that they would bake evenly at the same time.
9) Bake until they are just nicely done- don’t over-bake. You may want to set a timer to remind you to check on the oven, especially if you have young children around who may distract you!
10) Let cool on a wire rack.
11) Sandwich cookies together using a jam filling of your choice. Tristan is using his daddy’s homemade apple and foraged blackberry jam.
12) Store in an airtight container.