Hedgehog Scramble is an easy and tasty dish to serve up to your family. Originally my Grandma sent me a Sask Power recipe book from the 1970s, with the title, meals for one, or something similar. I’m not sure if she was just being humorous sending this to me just after I’d met Phil, to whom I’d be married the following year, but when I joked with her about it over the telephone, she just said; you know you can double the recipes!
So this recipe is adapted from that recipe booklet and given our own spin on it as well; including this new name.
Hedgehog scramble ingredients:
- 2 Onions, sliced
- 1 Green pepper, diced
- 1.5 tsp Oil
- ½ lb Ground beef
- 1 tin Tomatoes
- ½ C Basmati rice
- 1/2tsp Chilli powder
- 1tsp Salt
- Dash Pepper
How to make Hedgehog Scramble
1) In a small pan, brown the onion and green pepper in the oil
2) Add the ground beef and fry until it is well browned
3) Remove mixture from pan and drain the excess fat
4) Place meat mixture in small greased casserole dish
5) Add the remaining ingredients. If you need more liquid (the rice will ‘drink’ it up), add more tomatoes or some water.
6) Cover and bake at 350F/180C for about 45 minutes
7) Remove the cover and cook another 15 minutes
This recipe will feed our family of 2 adults, and two young children. You can add extra tomatoes and rice to bulk it out a little more, and serve with a side of veggies as well.
Feed to your waiting family, and enjoy each other’s company!