These delicious macaroons remind me of the recipe Mom used to make when we were younger. She used to top hers with coloured cherries, which was very festive. We’ve done both that and a chocolate version here as well. In Canada you can buy boxed chocolate macaroons but they aren’t available here, so this is the closest we can get to those little delights. You be the judge to see which is your favourite.
Gather your macaroon ingredients
- 2&2/3 C sweetened flaked coconut
- 2/3 C Canned sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- Maraschino cherries, optional
- Dark chocolate chips, about a small handful
How to make your macaroons
1) Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
2) Mix together the coconut, milk and vanilla.
3) Place small teaspoonfuls (about an inch apart) onto a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with a cooking spray.
4) Gently press any coconut flakes that are standing out, back into the mound so that the ends don’t burn.
5) If you’d like to add maraschino cherries to your cookies, place one of these on the cookie at this stage.
6) Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.
7) Don’t remove the cookies immediately, but only let them cool a couple of minutes before removing them from the cookie sheet using a spatula dipped in warm water.
8) Let the cookies cool completely.
9) Melt the chocolate chips gently in a double-boiler or in the microwave, being careful not to burn the chocolate.
10) Either dip half of each cookie into the melted chocolate or use a spoon to dribble some chocolate onto the cookies.
11) Let the cookies stand until the chocolate has cooled completely and enjoy!
Kallista says they are a hit with her!